Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I Can't Believe I Forgot to Add that...

We went to this "Arab" neighborhood that was built on an old spillway where the city's filth flowed on blasting water into the sea. Just like any city, ethnic groups here (Arabs, Jews, Ethiopians, Christians and others) live in polarization. Those atop the Mount Carmel don't care to come to these neighborhoods hidden by the mountain's very shadow. This neighborhood was strictly Arab with tight roads and surplus of zooming cars and vespas. I saw children running around with footballs (the kind you play with your feet), looking at us like people look at strange exhibits in museums. We walked some and reached these two falafel places that stood right across from each other. I turned to the one on the right where there was no line. There, I ate the best falafel I ever had. I drank Hebrew Coca-Cola. I looked up and saw a picture in the corner between the wall and ceiling. It was a little league basketball team clad in Hebrew. This reminded me of all the pizza places in New Jersey and New York that had little league baseball or basketball team pictures overlooking the establishment. The "NO SMOKING" sign could be read by Hebrew, Arabic, Russian, or English speakers. I thought, " damn it's like an alternate Universe."But no. It is the world we live in. Vast and full of things very different but small and full of things metaphysically similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment