Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Anniversary of my Escape from the Depths of Womb Matter.

Yesterday was the day of my birth. I am now twenty one. I spent it touring Haifa, Israel from the top of the extravagant, lush Bahai gardens that sit on the summit of Mount Carmel where on a clear day one can see the city of Acco where the best falafel in the world is created by experienced hands. The gardens decline smoothly until it reaches the Shrine of Bab. The history of all this was represented in this spectacle but is still hidden by hundreds, maybe thousands of years and of course my foreign status to Israel. Afterwards, we went to a Souq (pronounced Shook) an expansive outdoor marketplace where one could buy literally anything. From fruits and vegetables to licorice liquor to electronics. I surveyed each store eating a pomegranate, chewing the juices out of the bright crimson seeds that lived in sweet darkness until I came along. I stopped at this one shop and bought some Middle Eastern spices, spices to which I was ignorant. Right now they are sitting in my room filling the space with its alluring scent.

No comments:

Post a Comment