Wednesday, January 5, 2011

anticipation is blurry foresight

I sit here patiently, clueless as to what my long stay in Niger will bring to me or how it will shape me. Right now, to me, Niger is a concept, an idea, a shape on a map. Numerous people have described to me the country's beauty and the its people who, through custom and habit, maintain this image.

But these are just subjective experiences, based on individual interpretations. One person sees a baseball bat as a tool to send a baseball out of range of the opposing team players. Another person may see it as a weapon to blah blah blah. Another person may it as memorabilia. Recounting experiences requires the combination of the factual and transcendent aspects, a duality that involves that which really actually exists and that which we spawn in our minds (something that transcends reality). Everyone is different. Therefore we all distort these two aspects, we all emphasize one part of this duplicity differently. Relying on the perspective of another keeps me ignorant and eager to the thing that I've yet to experience for myself. Right now, Niger is just some bright place in my thoughts.

That'll change in sixteen days.

No comments:

Post a Comment