Monday, April 4, 2011

.already april already.

I've been living and studying in Israel since January 23rd. When I discovered that the study-abroad program in Niger was canceled, the greatest despair surged through me and for sometime depressed my spirits as well as inflated them with a silent bitterness. My life-long dream to see the West African bush and soil, to feel the true divinity and intensity of the sun, to feel all that which this sphere of flames can make man feel -- this dream remained, as before, beyond my grasp, beyond my embrace, beyond my reality.

So, I wound up in Haifa after an arbitrary choice. I came to Israel nearly indifferent as to the experience I could have, blind and ignorant to the immensely valuable and cherishable experience that I'm currently having. I'll never forget the people I've met here, the people I've come to love. I'll never forget them even after I've returned to the monotony, the daily grind of our obligations at home which right now seems so dreadful.

But we all have to move on. Our Universe is birth, experience and death whether we refer to the feeble human, the assured animals, the ancient trees, a full glass of water or the situations that seem to absorb us. Things begin, endure and then end. Time flees; it escapes from our surroundings into our memories. This is all that we can be sure of.

Once my time here ends, who knows how exactly I'll interpret or how we'll all interpret the Separation. I'm as clueless about the future as I was two weeks before January 23rd.

Sweet optimism reminds me that when something dies, something else is born.

No comments:

Post a Comment